Thursday, March 6, 2014

Dealing With Discouragement


Near the beginning of our experience with LeAnne’s illness, we listened to a talk that gave us strength and courage.  There were a number of those kinds of talks given later, and each one was a strength to me.  However, this one was the first to resonate, and is still one I use to help me deal with things.  I suppose that you would say that it is a single arrow in a very full quiver that has helped me find happiness and meaning.

We all need help when we are faced with a traumatic experience like losing a spouse or someone significant in our lives.  One of the regrets that I have had since losing LeAnne, is the fact that I didn’t take my younger children and seek counseling together.  At the time, I thought we were okay.  I thought I was okay.

Though my youngest was only 11 at the time, he seemed to be a pillar of strength.  In truth, I suppose he was.  Yet, I don’t think that he was as strong as I imagined.  He was young and needed more support that I could give him.  He was not the only one who could have used help.  I can see that fact quite plainly now, but at the time, everyone seemed to be dealing with it well, and I was blinded by the fog of my own situation.

Fortunately, my son seems well adjusted, and though he has had many trials in his young life, he has grown to be a very fine young man.  Just as my daughters have grown to be fine young women.  They have all grown stronger over time.  We have all found our sources of comfort and strength.  I believe we have all found strength through God.

Here is a link to the talk that first seemed to prick my heart to give me comfort and strength.  I hope it will help you too.

www.lds.org/general-conference/1998/10/overcoming-discouragement

Jene




No comments:

Post a Comment