Wednesday, April 9, 2014

New Skills

Before
In the past few years, I have learned that coping is more than just enduring.  Coping also means to actively do something about the situation.  During this time of “coping,” I have that found there are a number of ways to do something about my situation.  I’ve learned that some methods of “coping,” have been detrimental to my healing process. 

I have found that activities that kept me from doing positive things, which I could feel good about, were activities that would be better for me to leave alone.  Not only would it not help, but it would actually create new trouble for me to deal with.

I found that the most effective and most helpful activities were learning new skills, or improving upon current skills.  Skills are the ability to use knowledge to do a task.  The key word in that sentence is “do.”  Doing requires the use of mind and body.

Learning a new skill, was not only engaging my mind, but also forcing me to be doing something.  Reading, watching movies, or other such activities alone seemed to wear me out.  My motivation to do anything new was completely flattened when I was finished with those activities, I still had all my other problems to deal with.  But learning a new skill not only got something done that I couldn’t do before, but it also seemed to make me a better more complete person.  It was fun to learn and it was satisfying to know that I was more than I had been.  It also seemed to motivate me to do the other things that I knew I should be doing.  This also reduced a lot of stress.  It has also been something that has brought Deb and I closer.  The photos speak for themselves.

After
One of the skills that I have been working on, is screen writing.  Though I am using a lot of the same skills as I had before, it has many new elements to it that are completely different from writing novels.  When I am writing on a screenplay, I still have to use the skills learned to write a book, but I have to do it in a way that is completely different.  Still, I have found that the skills I have learned screen writing has made me a much better novelist.  Those new skills give me a new excitement for any kind of writing.  I look forward to finishing the book I’m on, so I can get started on my next one.  Those feelings of accomplishment, also continues to motivate me to go after other projects.

There are other skills I am learning and I’ve found that the same lessons apply.  Each new skill has given me confidence and a new appreciation for the new person I am becoming.  They also motivate me to do more.

I hope these thoughts are helpful to you.

Until next time,

Jene

No comments:

Post a Comment